Monday, November 24, 2014

Dedication or Stupidity

Dedication and stupidity two words that are synonymous amongst fisherman and depending on who you talk to and to what context you will get either one of those words as a response.

This past Saturday I put the statement to the test. For I and the ragtag group of fisherman I call friends call the events that transpired dedication, most of you probably reading this will think otherwise but I’ll let you be the judge. It started for me anyway as a harmless text message the Friday before from good friend Kyle Hammond. “I think we’re planning on fishing for trout and walleye in the morning if you would care to join us.” Simple, nice, short invite, now before you go oh that’s a simple answer Kyle lives in Ft. Wayne, a good 2 hour drive for this central native. But, be dedicated I accepted and we ironed out the details, I loaded the truck and hooked up the kayak trailer and I was ready for the sound of the alarm. My alarm went off way too soon, 4:30 came quick, got dress in my layers ready to battle the elements of the day hoped in the truck and I was off. As I rode along IN-69 jamming to the free 3 weeks of Sirus radio I got to thinking, am I dedicated or stupid? I’m driving 2 hours north to meet up with Kyle and Mike to drive even farther to get to a lake I have never fished, let alone heard of, in rather less than favorable conditions. NAH! I’m just a dedicated kayak angler. The miles droned on and soon my journey came to its end, meet up with Mike at Kyle’s house we hashed out the plan, well they hashed out the plan, I was just along for the ride at this point. We loaded up and another 1.5 hour trek towards the Michigan boarder to our lake of choice, Clear Lake. The plan was simple troll for walleye and trout. So we unloaded our kayaks, as I set mine on the ramp it got the bright idea to launch itself. Kyle and I literally watched my kayak slide down the icy ramp into the water and float out of reach. It was quite funny to see my boat just drifting 20 yards off shore with no pilot. No fear though Mike “Toboggan Run” Densel was on the job as he hopped into his Hobie and rode it all the way down the ramp into the water much like the Log Flume rides at amusement parks. By far one of the most epic things I have seen while kayak fishing. Kudos Mike, much kudos. Having my kayak retrieved we set out across the lake with cranks and flies in tow hoping for the tall tell rod been of fish on. Time passed with not even a nibble, Kyle said he had just got word of a hot trout bite on another lake. Mike and I agreed this lake was a bust so let’s move. We trolled back to the ramp loaded up and were off to lake #2. We arrived at lake #2 where Kyle’s intel man was waiting, we unloaded and were off again. After a short paddle under a low bridge we were on the main lake. This lake had way more chop than the last, I still feel like I’m bobbing up and down.  I dropped my 2 crankbaits into the water, paddled a short distance and BOOM! Rod bent, fish on. After a short, acrobatic fight I had landed a beautiful trout. This was my first trout ever out of the kayak which was nice, because one more fish off the list. I trolled awhile longer with no other fish to show. I left my comrades on the water as I had to head home and my drive wasn’t a short one. I pulled into my driveway a couple hours later pondering that age old question, was I stupid or dedicated just to catch 1 fish? You decided. Until next time, tight lines.

Enjoy this short video of the one fish I caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment